Monday, August 9, 2010

cracker's neck

you might have figured out that i have already left beautiful SW Virginia. but i have a few other stories to tell and places to write about, so i will be playing catch-up. this first entry is about one of the first places we went to go for a run and ended up being my favorite place in the entire area. how could you not love a place called cracker's neck? it was a short distance down east stone gap road and it was one of the few areas that was flat. a large expanse of valley, filled with homes, trailers, farms, and overall beauty. when we first drove out there on our second day in big stone, we parked next two a couple boarded up buildings which i found out used to be an old country store. we ran past many small churches, one road that looked like suburbia and a lot of fields filled with wild flowers.in the mornings before work, i would run from the trailer to crackers neck, get as far as time would allow, and turn around to come back. one friday morning, i had run to my turn-around point and began to trot back when i noticed a dog at my feet. dogs chased me all the time especially in crackers neck, but most of them ran the expanse of their property and gave up. or if i sped up, they would stop and stare as if saying, whew no way! this young dog would not give up, and ran with me all the way to the point where i turn onto a larger road. i figured it would stop then, but no. it continued to try and follow me. i tried yelling at it, running a bit back in the opposite direction, but nothing deterred it. time was starting to be against me and my need to get ready for work. so i just kept running. it continued. as i approached the cemetery before east stone gap, i realized i was going to have to keep this dog following, so i could drive it back home on my way to work. it ran with me for 25 minutes until we arrived at the trailer. after a quick shower, i loaded it in my car and drove it back to the spot in cracker's neck where it had joined me. it was an adorable dog, all white, with black over the eyes and ears. but i had to let it go and drive away. i saw him again one morning, but hid, not wanting to risk another follow and return.

No comments:

Post a Comment