Friday, June 11, 2010

from the 'Noke

i made it to Roanoke with only one casualty. as i was packing....no, STUFFing my car full, the largest glass lid for one of my pans hopped out to make a break for it. however, it shattered upon landing. no big deal. didn't really use that lid anyway. and i wonder how many other items i decided to keep and haul on my back that i could say the same thing about. my sister, Betsy, suggested that as a part of this blog when I decide to ditch an item that i previously cherished but have now come to my senses that I really just don't need that hair straightener with four attachments that i haven't used since crimping my hair for an 80s party 7 years ago... that i should write about it, and maybe include a photo for the big decisions. well so far, the straightener, a pair of half working computer speakers, and one pillow have taken their place in circular storage, i.e. the garbage bin.

i stopped in Roanoke as a surprise for my uncle. some of you may know that my uncle was hospitalized for several months at the beginning of this year. he is home and on a gradual path to recovery under the attentive care of my aunt. my arrival fortunately coincided with his first outpatient physical therapy appointment. i was impressed with the ability of the PT to examine the entire body in an efficient manner and also with what my uncle could already do. i helped him with a few exercises at home, in exchange he taught me how to play backgammon.

tomorrow morning i set off for the gap, the big stone gap. i think i might start calling it that, although many people might start to think i'm living in a preppy store that makes medium quality clothing. i also have come down with a serious case of world cup fever, and after watching this mornings South Africa/Mexico match up, i know it cannot be cured. tomorrow the US plays England, which which looks to be a big match-up. whether it makes you recall that other important America vs. England contest in 1776 or that episode of Simpson's where the family goes to England and Homer rear ends the Queen, i think we can all grasp the significance of this game. so tomorrow, aside from the goals of finding this small town in the mountains, locating the trailer and the woman that owns it, Brittany and I will be on a quest to find an establishment that is airing the game. I've already google mapped sports bars in the area of Wise county. Closest one: Kingsport, Tennessee. It's going to be an interesting two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment